Wednesday, November 10, 2010

My Professional GAME plan

Part of being a good teacher is reflecting on your work in the classroom and with your students while constantly revising your methods to become better. This specific post is for a graduate level class at Walden University entitled Integrating Technology into the Classroom. During the course of this class we will develop a personal GAME plan that will assist us as professionals when integrating technology fully into our classrooms in a realistic and authentic manner. I plan to establish goals to help integrate technology, take action on my goals, monitor my progress and finally evaluate whether my goals were achieved through my work.

The first step when developing a GAME plan is to set goals for what you want to obtain and where you want to be at the end of the process (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009). These goals can focus on any part of a classroom where the teacher feels that change may be needed. To help establish these goals we first looked at the National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS-T) and chose some of their benchmarks to focus our attention. For this particular class I will focus on standard number one Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity and standard number two Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments (National Education Standards for Teachers, 2008). The two standards I selected I feel are the strongest performance indicators and the most useful for developing technology use in my classroom. I want to create a classroom where technology is the norm rather than the exception and a place where students learn skills necessary for success in the future.

The second step when creating a personal GAME plan is to take action upon the goals you established (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009). For this particular plan I feel I can implement many changes in my classroom without completely throwing out all of my current lessons and instructional methods. The simpler the changes the less possible issues there may be when implementing any questions into the classroom. I think when implementing many of the changes I will focus on first bring technology fully into my classroom and then allowing the students to work using the technology in the classroom.

The first action I will take is to allow for more opportunities to use technology in a realistic manner in my classroom (Laureate Education, Inc., 2010a). I have access to such tools as a computer, Smartboard, projector and television in my classroom and often use these tools for very basic methods of instruction. I would like to implement more methods of instruction by creating lessons that use more forms of technology into my classroom. To reach my goals I will try using virtual fieldtrips, WebQuests allowing the students to find information and also lessons that utilize and seek out information in the form of primary sources to help students understand the material (Laureate Education, Inc., 2010b). I have the technology at my disposal I only need to take advantage of what opportunities are available to help my students to succeed. I will also attempt to gain the support of my colleagues to maximize the benefits of the technology in the school. If one teacher uses technology successfully the students gain a great deal of knowledge, if more teachers use the same strategies the possibilities are endless.

The second action I will take is to model the technologies for my students. I will first learn how to use the technology that I will use in my classroom and this will help me to become better suited to guide my own classroom and students (Laureate Education, Inc., 2010a). To teach my students successfully I need learn how my technology will best allow my students to interact with the material and how I can best display content. I will then teach my students what I have found to be the “best practices” and allow them to be modified from that point. This is not a omni-directional path however, I plan to continue to learn from my students even after I have implemented the technology into my classroom.

Once I have provided the technology and opportunities for its use to my students I will use what we have learned to teach my content in a real world context. This is key in a global studies classroom as one of the greatest complaints is the lack of connection of the material to a students personal life. I plan to use technology to make a connection to each student’s lives allowing them to make the most of their education and to retain the information at a deeper level. I will rely on the Internet to bring the material directly to the classroom and even the students to the material. I feel that that when the students are immersed into the material I will have a better chance of reaching them and allowing the material to really sink in and truly be learned.

The three actions that I have suggested will allow me to integrate technology into my classroom while adapting my current lessons. This should increase the creativity and self-direction of my students while allowing a sense of realism to my content. Also, by utilizing more technology I can reach out to students with different learning styles and abilities creating an environment increasingly fair to all of my students (Laureate Education, Inc., 2010a). However, the last two steps of the GAME plan will help to ensure the actions were successful in teaching my students.

The third step in the GAME plan is to monitor your actions as they are taking place (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009). In an effort to monitor my goals I will continuously examine my goals and check to make sure I am staying on task. At the end of each week I will look at my goals and compare them to my lessons to see what progress has been made. This will allow me to get back on track if I somehow strayed from my original goals.

The last step in the GAME plan is to examine the results and look to continue my development. This step allows you to examine what you did right and what changes you would make in the future (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009). I plan to examine my results utilizing data via a student assessment before I utilize technology in my classroom and then after I have changed my instruction. I will look for changes after each new method is used to see what has been successful and what was not in my classroom. I will also interview the students informally to inquire about what they liked about the material and the use of technology in my lessons. This should provide solid data and also personal experiences to prove the success or failure of my game plan.

References

Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful
classroom use: A standards-based approach. Mason, OH: Cengage Learning.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010a). Program Three: Enriching
content area learning experiences with technology: part one.
Integrating technology across the content areas. Baltimore, MD

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010b). Program Three: Enriching
content area learning experiences with technology: part two.
Integrating technology across the content areas. Baltimore, MD
National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS-T). (2008). retrieved November 9, 2010 from http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf

4 comments:

  1. Hi Randy!

    You and I both chose the first two ISTE standards to focus on to further our classrooms and teaching. I am really glad to be learning about the GAME plan because I sometimes have a hard time initiating changes in regard to the use of technology and may or may not follow through with all the steps. Have a specific plan to follow is helpful. As the authors of our textbook discuss, the GAME plan is customizable and forces us to think about how we will achieve our goals (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009).

    Like you, I also set-up a goal to use the technology more realistically by using a schedule for the classroom computer. I am very interested in the SMARTboard, though, because I love its ability for interaction. It is wise that you know to learn the technology before presenting it to students and you are aware of the motivational benefits of authentic learning; the main impact of knowledge comes from how a skilled teacher presents it (Cennamo, et al., 2009).

    You have a good GAME plan written so I wish you luck in achieving your goals!

    Krista
    6th grade
    sci, soc stud, lit

    References

    Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful
    classroom use: A standards-based approach. Mason, OH: Cengage Learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krista,

    Thank you for your Blog post. You are right that a teacher needs to understand how to use the technology first before they can possibly teach their students properly. If you don't know how to use the information, you cannot teach your students as you will have the same exact questions that they have throughout the lesson. Students love when a teacher is learning the information at the same time as themselves, however, there comes a point when this could be detrimental to the learning environment.

    Similar to yourself I often begin to drift when working towards a goal. The GAME plan allows me to stay on a specific path and will serve to help me reach my goal of implimenting more technology into my classroom. It may take a little more time initially, but I think the end results may be stronger than without the use of the plan.

    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your plans, Randy!

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Randy,

    I believe you have an excellent game plan for integrating more technology into your classroom. I think it is important that you realize you have technology available for your classroom and now you are looking for ways to fully integrate it.

    You stated that you need to learn new technology and methods in order to help benefit your students and their learning experience. I was wondering how you planned to accomplish this because I also need to learn about more technology. Do you teach yourself? Do you have peers that help you with technology? Are there books or websites you study to help you learn various pieces of software? I am curious because as of now, I am still not sure how I am going to learn my new pieces of technology. Probably a mixture of all three I mentioned above, but any insight you have into this matter will be helpful.

    Good luck on your integration. It seems like your plan is solid, so I am sure you will have a rewarding experience.

    ReplyDelete